On July 28 members of the Lake County Sheriff’s Office Warrants Team and U.S. Marshals Service Great Lakes Regional Fugitive Task Force apprehended Lerou Kelly, 38, of the 500 block of McAlister Avenue in Waukegan. Officials said that Kelly is a registered sexual predator.
According to authorities, on June 21 a failure to appear arrest warrant was issued for Kelly regarding a domestic battery case led by a Waukegan Police Department investigation and also a warrant was issued for a violation of the Sex Offender Registry Act under a North Chicago Police Department investigation.
On July 28, members of the Lake County Sheriff’s Warrants Team developed information indicating Kelly was at an address in the 500 block of McAlister Avenue in Waukegan.
As members of the Warrants Team approached the apartment to apprehend him he ran from an upstairs apartment to the basement to hide, sheriff’s officials said. He was located in the basement of the apartment building, hiding behind a wall. Kelly was apprehended by warrants deputies without further incident.
He was transported to the Lake County Jail and charged with the following violations:
- Sex Offender Living with Children Under the Age of 18-Not Disclosed (Class 2 Felony)
- Failing to Register as a Sex Offender within Three Days of a New Address (Class 2 Felony)
- Sex Offender Living within 500 Feet of a School (Class 4 Felony)
- Sex Offender Living within 500 Feet of a Public Park (Class 4 Felony)
- Sex Offender Living within 500 Feet of a Daycare Center (Class 4 Felony)
- Violation of an Order of Protection (Class 4 Felony)
Kelly remains held in the Lake County Jail on a $250,000 bond. He is due in court on August 16 at 1:30 p.m. in courtroom C-120.