A man was injured after a house fire that was caused by a lightning strike Saturday in Hawthorn Woods, officials said.
At 7:05 p.m. on Saturday, the Lake Zurich Fire Department responded to a reported house fire at 3 Newhaven Drive in Hawthorn Woods.
Fire officials said that the first arriving units encountered fire and smoke conditions in the attic of the home. Firefighters quickly evacuated the residents and deployed two hand lines to extinguish the fire.
A resident was transported to Advocate Conde!! Medical Center in Libertyville. His condition is unknown. According to initial fire radio traffic, the man was injured by falling debris from the chimney after lightning struck the house.
The Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary living arrangements, authorities said.
The Lake Zurich Fire Department received assistance from Barrington•Countryside. Buffalo Grove, Countryside, Lincolnshire, Long Grove. Mundelein. Palatine, Palatine Rural and Wauconda fire departments.
“The Lake Zurich Fire Department would like to remind residents to have working smoke detectors in their home. Information on smoke detectors and fire safety can be located on our Facebook page,” the fire department said in a statement.
The home is uninhabitable and sustained about $100,000 in fire damage.
Latest posts by Lake & McHenry County Scanner Staff (see all)
- 38-year-old man dies after being found shot in Hainesville driveway - November 19, 2017
- Cary man dies after being found unresponsive in McHenry County Jail cell - November 19, 2017
- Armed robber runs away after being hit in the head with cellphone by woman in Lake Forest - November 17, 2017