Photo provided by the Kitzmiller family.

A death investigation is underway after a Mundelein boy died after being found unresponsive at Lollapalooza Sunday evening.

Evan Kitzmiller, 16, of Mundelein, died around 9 p.m. at Northwest Memorial Hospital in Chicago after being transported by ambulance from Lollapalooza at Grant Park.

The Chicago Office of Emergency Management and Communications said that paramedics took Kitzmiller to the hospital after he was found in critical condition from a medical emergency.

Officials did not say what exactly the medical emergency was, and the Cook County Medical Examiner hasn’t ruled a cause of death yet pending an autopsy.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this time. The circumstances are under investigation and we have no further details at this time,” the Chicago Office of Emergency Management and Communications said.

“We didn’t expect this outcome. He was having a great time. He had worked very hard at the car wash saving up his money, and this was the capstone to his summer vacation,” Andrew Kitzmiller, Evan’s father, told ABC7 Chicago.

[Suggested Article]  Police investigating after man found dead in ditch nearby parked motorcycle in Antioch

School officials said that Evan was an honor roll student and was entering his junior year at Mundelein High School. School counselors are being provided for any students who need to talk with someone.

“We are saddened to learn of the death of an individual who attended Lollapalooza on Sunday. The individual’s family and loved ones are in our thoughts during this difficult time,” Lollapalooza officials said in a statement.

The Chicago Police Department and Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office continue to investigate Evan’s death.

One reply on “16-year-old Mundelein boy dies after being found unresponsive at Lollapalooza”

  1. This breaks my heart. When I was a kid, I always wanted to go to Taste of Chicago. My parents were pretty old parents, and didn’t like the crowds. Now that I am a grandma, I do feel like I was blessed that I didn’t go. So many people, heat strokes, people having so much fun they forget to stay hydrated. It’s just too much for adults sometimes, and deadly for kids without proper supervision. Even in my own backyard, I am forcing water to my grandchildren while we are in the pool. I am not trying to place any blame on this poor souls friends or family. But awareness is really key.

Comments are closed.