Firefighters treat an injured dog after a house fire in Marengo. The dog was transported to an animal hospital and survived. Photo by Alex Vucha.

A dog and cat were saved from a fire in Marengo but another dog died after the fire destroyed a home Wednesday.

The Marengo Fire Protection District was called just after 8 a.m. Wednesday to a home in the 22500 block of Grange Road in Riley Township, which is south of Marengo.

Firefighters found a ranch style home with heavy flames and smoke showing when they arrived. The homeowner, Alan Schardon, told the Northwest Herald that he believes the fire was caused by a power strip in one of the bedrooms.

Photo by Alex Vucha.

Schardon also said that the house is a total loss. The dog pictured above, which was rescued by firefighters, and a family cat survived the fire but another dog died.

Authorities did not release any other information about the fire. No firefighters or people were believed to have been injured in the fire.

[Suggested Article]  Deerfield man among 3 charged by feds for allegedly swindling children's charity, others out of almost $4 million