Press "Enter" to skip to content

17 residents displaced after fire in assisted living facility in Gurnee

Photo by Joe Shuman of J. Shuman Photography.

No one was injured but 17 residents were displaced after a fire in an assisted living facility in Gurnee on Tuesday, fire officials said.

The Gurnee Fire Department responded at 12:11 p.m. Tuesday to a structure fire at Assisted Living by Theresa, 6455 Cunningham Court.

Fire crews found flames showing from the roof and attic of the two-story multi-family residential facility, fire officials said. The fire is believed to have been started by fireplace embers which ignited the cedar roof, spreading into the attic.

The building has a working fire detection system and sprinklers but because of the location of the fire the systems did not activate, fire officials said. All 17 residents who lived in the building were uninjured and relocated to other Assisted Living by Theresa facilities.

Firefighters from Grayslake, Libertyville and Newport were called to assist Gurnee firefighters at the scene. Firefighters from Mundelein, Beach Park, Zion and Lake Villa covered Gurnee fire stations.

The fire remains under investigation.

Sam Borcia

Sam Borcia

Senior News Editor at Lake & McHenry County Scanner
Lake and McHenry County Scanner is a local breaking news website covering issues that matter such as shootings, stabbings, house fires, kidnappings, car accidents, and more around Lake County and McHenry County Illinois. Lake and McHenry County Scanner has over 120,000 social media followers and receives hundreds of thousands of website visitors each month.
Sam Borcia

One Comment

  1. DAVID DAVID March 6, 2019

    Gurnee inspectors were all over that house during rehab about 3 years ago……they made the owner install a new fire extinguish system,,,
    AND now the location of the sprinkler heads was not adequate to prevent fire…gee what happened to a professional inspection by gurnee fire department and village of Gurnee,,,,,,,,,There should be a lawsuit against gurnee for passing a defective system…..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *