Press "Enter" to skip to content

Cary home uninhabitable after kitchen fire

No one was injured after firefighters respond to a kitchen fire at a home in Cary Friday evening | Photo by Tyler Tobolt.

A family escaped without injury after a fire started in the kitchen of their home in Cary Sunday evening, fire officials said.

The Cary Fire Protection District was called at 6:32 p.m. Friday to the 0-100 block of Fairfield Lane for a reported house fire.

The first fire crew arrived four minutes later and found smoke showing from a tri-level ranch house, Cary Fire Lt. Michael D. Douglass said. The fire started in the upstairs kitchen and the family of four evacuated the home before firefighters arrived.

Firefighters entered the home and extinguished the fire within 15 minutes. The homeowner told fire officials she was using the stove to cook when a grease fire started. The fire spread from the stove to the wall and cabinets, Douglass said.

No one was injured after firefighters respond to a kitchen fire at a home in Cary Friday evening | Photo by Tyler Tobolt.

“The parents made the right decision to evacuate the house and call the fire department,” Douglass added.

The fire was contained to the kitchen area but the rest of the home sustained smoke and water damage, leaving it uninhabitable. A damage estimate is not yet available.

Douglass said that the family will be staying with relatives. The cause of the fire was deemed accidental by fire investigators. No one was injured during the incident.

Firefighters from Barrington, Barrington-Countryside, Fox River Grove and Nunda Rural assisted Cary firefighters at the scene.

Sam Borcia

Sam Borcia

Senior News Editor at Lake & McHenry County Scanner
Sam has been with Lake and McHenry County Scanner since 2012 as a senior news editor helping cover breaking news for Lake County and McHenry County. He also regularly contributes photographs of news scenes for the Lake County area.
Sam Borcia

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *