Two people were in serious condition and 12 others, including six police officers and four firefighters, were hospitalized after an unknown chemical leak at a pool in Lincolnshire on Thursday.
The Lincolnshire-Riverwoods Fire Protection District and Lincolnshire Police Department responded around 2:20 p.m. Thursday to the community pool at 445 Village Green South for a report of two people unresponsive.
Lincolnshire Police Commander Kimberly Covelli said that police officers found a 16-year-old girl and 17-year-old boy unresponsive but breathing.
Covelli said it was either a chlorine or carbon monoxide leak from a recent pool servicing that caused the hazardous situation.
The 16-year-old girl and 17-year-old boy were both transported to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge in serious condition. They have since been released from the hospital.
12 other people, including six police officers and four firefighters, were transported to local hospitals after being exposed to the chemical. All 12 have since been released and a majority were transported as a precautionary measure, Covelli said.
Residents in the immediate area were notified to stay indoors with their windows closed and ventilation systems off, Covelli said.
The situation was cleared by 6:45 p.m. Thursday. Police and fire officials continue to investigate the incident.