Emergency crews respond and evacuate Crystal Ice House in Crystal Lake Saturday afternoon after elevated carbon monoxide levels were detected in the building | Photo by Alex Vucha.

An ice rink hosting a hockey tournament in Crystal Lake was evacuated Saturday afternoon after there were elevated carbon monoxide levels inside the building.

The Crystal Lake Fire Rescue Department responded around 1:40 p.m. for a person having a medical emergency at Crystal Ice House, 320 East Prairie Street, Crystal Lake Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Chris Kopera said.

The initial arriving ambulance crew reported elevated carbon monoxide levels inside the building and called for additional emergency crews to the scene, Kopera said. The building was evacuated for over an hour as it was ventilated with three fans.

The Crystal Ice House has three ice rinks and was being used to host a hockey tournament through the weekend, officials said.

Emergency crews determined the source of the carbon monoxide was from one or more zambonis being used throughout the day. Crystal Ice House management worked with the fire department and resolved the problem.

[Suggested Article]  1 of 2 former Huntley Dairy Mart owners sentenced to probation after child pornography, drugs, numerous guns found in Crystal Lake home

It is unknown if the elevated carbon monoxide levels contributed to the person’s condition for which the ambulance was initially called for. The patient was transported by ambulance to a local hospital.

Follow-up testing of the building later Saturday evening confirmed the problem was resolved, Kopera said.