Press "Enter" to skip to content

Hazmat crews respond to chlorine leak at Barrington Village Hall

Firefighters and hazmat crews respond to a chlorine leak at the Barrington Village Hall Saturday evening | Photo: Sam Borcia / Lake and McHenry County Scanner.

A chlorine leak at the Barrington Village Hall prompted a major hazmat response and nearby residents were told to shelter in place Saturday evening.

The Barrington Fire Department and Barrington Police Department responded around 8:40 p.m. Saturday to the Barrington Village Hall, 200 South Hough Street, for a report of a chlorine leak.

A small chlorine leak occurred in a maintenance-type building in the parking lot of the village hall. The Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) was activated, bringing firefighters and hazmat crews from throughout the Lake, McHenry, and Cook County area to the scene.

“While there is no widespread danger to the community, residents that could be affected have already been contacted with instructions to remain indoors,” the Barrington Fire Department said on social media Saturday evening.

Residents in the area were notified by police to stay inside and close all windows while crews worked to secure the situation.

The leak was contained by 11:25 p.m., more than two hours after the incident occurred. As of 1 a.m. Sunday, crews remain working at the scene.


Write a Comment