Classes were canceled Tuesday after Marian Central High School in Woodstock was struck by lightning on Monday, causing damage to the chimney and roof.
The Woodstock Fire Rescue District responded around 4:30 p.m. Monday to Marian Central High School, 1001 McHenry Avenue.
Woodstock Fire Rescue Lt. Zach Beatty said that the chimney was struck by lightning and it broke apart, damaging the roof and gas lines.
Student athletes were at the school for practice and the building was evacuated. No injuries were reported.
Classes and events scheduled for Tuesday were canceled, including the freshmen football game and Athletic Boosters Meeting, school officials said.
School officials also said that damage was extensive but repair estimates were not immediately available.