Press "Enter" to skip to content

3 hospitalized after being sickened by chemical reaction at Fox River Grove restaurant

Firefighters and a HazMat team respond to an incident at Brunch Cafe, 935 Route 22 in Fox River Grove, Monday afternoon | Photo: Alex Vucha.

A HazMat team responded and three people were hospitalized after cleaning chemicals were poured down a drain inside Brunch Cafe in Fox River Grove Monday afternoon.

The Fox River Grove Fire Protection District responded around 12:10 p.m. Monday to the Brunch Cafe, 935 Route 22, for a report of a hazardous conditions call.

Fox River Grove Deputy Fire Chief Eldee Jackson said that the restaurant was evacuated and patients were evaluated by paramedics.

Cleaning chemicals were poured down the bathroom drains, causing fumes in the building, Jackson said. Three people, believed to be employees of the restaurant, were having trouble breathing and ambulances transported them to a local hospital.

The Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) was utilized, bringing hazardous materials technicians and equipment from several fire departments throughout McHenry County to the scene.

The restaurant closed for the remainder of the day and crews cleared the scene by 2 p.m., Jackson said.


Write a Comment