Olvan Quezada, 22, of Zion.

A Zion man found guilty of attempted murder of a police officer after he opened fire on a group of officers in Waukegan in 2016 has been sentenced to 27 years in prison.

Olvan Quezada, 22, of the 2900 block of 30th Street in Zion, was found guilty by a jury on October 18 for first-degree attempted murder of a police officer along with three other charges.

Quezada was sentenced to 19 years in prison for aggravated discharge of a firearm involving a peace officer, 10 years in prison for unlawful possession of a firearm by a gang member and five years for possession of a defaced firearm. The prison sentences will be served at the same time as the attempted murder sentence.

The Waukegan Police Department was called around 2 a.m. June 17, 2016 to the 3000 block of Arthur Court for a domestic disturbance call.

[Suggested Article]  2 gunmen accused of shooting at victim during sale meetup that ended in attempted robbery in Zion

An officer arrived and heard multiple gunshots being fired and took two people into custody, prosecutors said. Three additional officers arrived and were investigating when they heard a voice yell out an obscenity towards them, officials said.

Four or five shots were fired in the direction of the officers and they were able to take cover. None of the officers were injured and they did not return fire. The suspect then ran away.

Gang detectives from the Waukegan Police Department Criminal Investigations Division responded and recovered substantial evidence, including spent shell casings, fired projectiles, and the gun that police believe was used in the shooting, prosecutors said.

Quezada and another person were taken into custody by police and charged later that morning, authorities said. The second person taken into custody during the incident was not charged and released by police.

[Suggested Article]  1 year in prison for man found with gun after flashing gang signs during Mexican Independence parade in Waukegan

“We need to do everything in our power to protect those who are sworn to protect us, and we are extremely fortunate this event did not end in a more tragic way,” Lake County State’s Attorney Michael Nerheim said.

“I’d like to congratulate the officers and police departments in Waukegan and Park City and the attorney’s in my office for all their hard work on this case,” Nerheim said.

Quezada was also ordered to serve 3 years of mandatory supervised release after completing his 27-year prison sentence.

The two people initially taken into custody before the shooting occurred were Jonathan Cardona, 27, of the 3000 block of Arthur Court in Waukegan, and William Serwin, 23, of the 1200 block of Victoria Street in North Chicago.

Cardona pleaded guilty in 2017 to felony possession of a firearm and was sentenced to two years in prison. Serwin is scheduled to go to trial on January 13 for possession of a weapon without a FOID card and defacing a firearm.

[Suggested Article]  Man ordered detained after being charged with DUI in wrong-way, head-on crash that killed 21-year-old in Fox Lake

“I would like to thank the men and women from the Waukegan Police Department, who continuously choose to put themselves in harms way to keep residents safe,” Waukegan Police Chief Wayne Walles said.