Firefighters work to extinguish a fire in the wall at Dengeos restaurant in Buffalo Grove Sunday evening | Photo: John J. Kleeman.

A fire at Dengeos restaurant in Buffalo Grove Sunday evening left the bathrooms heavily damage and smoke throughout the restaurant, fire officials said.

The Buffalo Grove Fire Department responded around 9:13 p.m. Sunday to Dengeos restaurant, 195 West Dundee Road, for a report of smoke inside the building.

Police officers were first on the scene and found the building full of smoke, the Buffalo Grove Fire Department said.

“The owner and several employees were in the building and were subsequently evacuated. The restaurant had closed at 9:00 p.m. and no customers were inside the building at this time,” fire officials said.

Firefighters discovered an exterior fire which had extended into the restaurant. Buffalo Grove fire crews received assistance from Arlington Heights firefighters, and brought hose lines into the building to extinguish the fire.

[Suggested Article]  Police chief reflects on one-year anniversary of murder-suicide that left 5 family members dead in Buffalo Grove

Other fire crews opened a portion of the roof to ventilate the smoke and heat. The fire was declared under control at 9:56 p.m.

“As a result of the fire, the restaurant’s bathrooms were heavily damaged, in addition to smoke damage throughout the restaurant. Dengeos will remain closed until it is inspected by the Village of Buffalo Grove,” the fire department said early Monday.

The restaurant said on social media Monday morning that the village allowed them to reopen after they made repairs.

Employees told fire investigators that around 30 minutes before the 911 call was made, they had extinguished an exterior fire in an area where smoking is permitted. This is also the area where the secondary fire is believed to have begun, fire officials said.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation but investigators believe it was caused due to smoking materials.

[Suggested Article]  Man arrested after allegedly walking into bakery holding gun, pointing it at victim's head in Waukegan