A 13-year-old boy suffered third-degree burns after his friend put nail polish remover on his foot and lit it on fire during a sleepover at a Round Lake Park home, family members said.
Gio Palacios, 13, was asleep at a friend’s house last weekend in Round Lake Park when a friend poured acetone nail polish remover on his foot during a sleepover, according to Gio’s cousin, Leiah Zulayka.
The teen then used a lighter and lit it on fire.
Paramedics with the Greater Round Lake Fire Protection District transported Gio to a local hospital with third-degree burns. He underwent surgery and is still recovering in the hospital, Zulayka told Lake and McHenry County Scanner.
“My foot was hurting and I grabbed it with my hand and it was on fire,” Gio said in a video published by NBC 5 Chicago. “I freaked out. I’m running, I ran around the room. My friend’s stepdad put it out and I’ve been in the hospital ever since.”
Gio’s parents told NBC 5 that the friend who caused the third-degree burns was one of Gio’s sports teammates, who may have learned of the idea through a YouTube video. Gio’s father said that his son’s future as a basketball and baseball player could be affected depending on how he recovers.
A GoFundMe page was created to assist with expenses caused by the incident. The fund has already raised over $2,800.
“Please parents… take into consideration of teaching and reminding your kids to always be kind to one another. Weather this was a prank or not! Playing with fire and flammable things, and intending to hurt someone is NOT ok. This could have been a whole lot worse,” Zulayka said.
The Round Lake Park Police Department is investigating the incident and the Lake County State’s Attorney’s Office is also involved, NBC 5 reported.