North Chicago High School is closed Thursday following a school shooting threat that was made on social media Wednesday evening, police and school officials said.
“We had concerning threats posted to social media related to the high school and decided to keep High School students at home while we and police continue to investigate,” the school announced Thursday morning.
“Student and staff safety is our top priority. We are responding quickly and with an abundance of caution,” school officials added.
The parent of a North Chicago Community High School student said that her son had received a picture with threatening messages.
“I’m going to shoot Nogo high school up February 20, 2020. This is because of the constant bullying from the freshman class. Don’t expect to live. Don’t come if you want to live. Everybody is going to die. Thursday I am shooting up the school. Sorry,” the caption read.
The student’s parent said that her child received a follower request on Snapchat earlier in the day Wednesday from an account named “Random Shooter,” who then sent the threatening image Wednesday evening.
In follow-up messages, the user “Random Shooter” said, “I don’t want the people I am friends with to come to school. Don’t post it, some people deserve to die.”
“I am going to kill at 3rd period. I am sorry. I can’t take it anymore. I must get revenge,” the message said.
The North Chicago Police Department said they are aware of the alarming social media posts. “We are currently working with community resources to enact proactive safety measures,” police officials said Wednesday evening.
School officials initially said that there would be additional police presence at the school Thursday but then later cancelled classes. Police have not said if the suspect has been identified yet or not.