A lawn mower caught on fire and spread to a Ringwood home, leaving the residence uninhabitable Tuesday evening, fire officials said.
The McHenry Township Fire Protection District responded around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday to the 4900 block of Patty Lane in Ringwood for a report of a lawn mower on fire.
Battalion Chief Kevin Sears said that firefighters arrived and found a one-story single-family home with flames and smoke showing.
“The fire had communicated to the house and quickly extended into the attic. The crews initiated an offensive attack using two hand lines,” Sears said.
The Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) was utilized to bring several water trucks to the scene because the neighborhood does not have fire hydrants.
A search of the residence was conducted and officials confirmed everyone had safely exited. Firefighters cut two holes in the roof to confine fire in the attic space.
The fire was extinguished in approximately 20 minutes, Sears said. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.
The home was left uninhabitable. The fire was investigated by McHenry Township Fire Protection District investigators, who determined it to be accidental.
Several fire departments responded to the scene and covered calls in McHenry during the fire.