A vehicle struck a gas meter Saturday morning, prompting a hazmat response and numerous businesses to be evacuated in downtown Crystal Lake.
The Crystal Lake Fire Rescue Department responded around 8:55 a.m. Saturday to The Olive Tap, 68 North Williams Street, for a report of a natural gas leak.
Crystal Lake Fire Battalion Chief Bill Whyte said that a vehicle in the rear of the building struck the gas meter and caused a leak in the supply of gas to the meter.
Firefighters arrived to find a strong smell of gas coming from the meter area and Nicor Gas was called to the scene.
A hazardous materials squad responded to the scene through the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS), Whyte said.
Businesses on Williams and Woodstock Streets to Brink and Grant Streets were evacuated, and firefighters checked them for natural gas.
There were no dangerous levels of gas in any of the buildings, Whyte said. Nicor Gas was able to shut the gas off at around 10:45 a.m.
All occupants of the businesses were allowed back into their buildings at 11 a.m. and Nicor Gas remained at the scene conducting repairs.