fbpx Press "Enter" to skip to content

Man suffers burns during apartment fire in McHenry

Firefighters respond to an apartment fire in the 4300 block of Shamrock Lane in McHenry on Thursday. | Photo: Alex Vucha / Lake and McHenry County Scanner.

A man suffered burn injuries after a fire that left an apartment uninhabitable in McHenry Thursday afternoon, fire officials said.

The McHenry Township Fire Protection District and McHenry Police Department responded around 4:52 p.m. Thursday to the 4300 block of Shamrock Lane in McHenry for a report of a structure fire.

Firefighters arrived in one minute and found a three-story apartment building with heavy smoke coming from an apartment on the second floor.

Crews entered the building and aggressively attacked the fire bringing it under control within 10 minutes, Battalion Chief Mike Majercik said.

The tenant of the apartment where the fire occurred suffered a minor injury to his hand, Majercik said. He was treated and released.

Firefighters respond to an apartment fire in the 4300 block of Shamrock Lane in McHenry on Thursday. | Photo: Alex Vucha / Lake and McHenry County Scanner.

Damage was confined to the kitchen of the apartment. There were no firefighter injuries.

The single apartment where the fire occurred was uninhabitable but the rest of the building remained occupied. The damage is estimated at $12,000.

[Suggested Article]  21-year-old man killed after crashing head-on into box truck in Wauconda

Majercik said the fire was deemed to be accidental in nature. It was caused by a fire that started on top of the stove while cooking.

The Wauconda, Nunda, Spring Grove, Wonder Lake, Crystal Lake and Richmond fire departments also assisted at the scene.

Cary, Woodstock, Lake Villa and Round Lake fire departments staffed McHenry fire stations during the incident.


Write a Comment