An explosion on the patio of Anastasias Restaurant in Antioch left one woman hospitalized Wednesday evening, fire officials said.
The Antioch Fire Department responded around 7 p.m. Wednesday to Anastasias Restaurant and Sports Lounge, 950 Hillside Avenue in Antioch, for a report of a burn victim.
Firefighters arrived and found some type of explosion that took place in the patio area, Antioch Fire Chief Jon Cokefair told Lake and McHenry County Scanner.
Cokefair said that there was no active fire following the explosion. A woman was transported by ambulance to a local hospital. She suffered a leg injury and is in stable condition.
One other person was evaluated at the scene by paramedics but did not require hospitaliztion.
Antioch Mayor Larry Hanson said that the explosion occurred in the outdoor fireplace and no one was seriously hurt.
“Something like this, underscores again, how we are a strong community. My thoughts and prayers go out to the person injured, as well as my thanks to the Giannakakis family for their investment in our Village of Antioch community with the restaurant,” Hanson said in a statement.
“Their [restaurant] is a place not only known for its food, but, as a special gathering place for our community. I know things will be together quickly. I’m confident that the community will rally behind you and your efforts. We’re #OneAntioch and #bettertogether,” Hanson added.
Firefighters stablized the patio structure, isolated the utilities and notified the building department, Cokefair said.
The business was able to remain open following the incident, which remains under investigation.