A 61-year-old Zion man has been arrested in connection with the looting that occurred in Waukegan in June, court records show.
Desmond R. Barton, 61, of the 2300 block of 20th Street in Zion, was charged with one count of burglary, a Class 2 felony, and looting by individual, a Class 4 felony.
An arrest warrant was issued on August 18 after Waukegan Police Department detectives identified Barton as a suspect.
The warrant alleges that Barton looted Derby Liquors, 2864 Washington Street in Waukegan, on June 1.
The Lake County Sheriff’s Office Warrants Team executed an arrest warrant at Barton’s residence in the 2300 block of 20th Street in Zion on September 23.
Barton was taken into custody without incident. He remains held in the Lake County jail on a $75,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on October 21.
What started as peaceful protests in Lake County on May 31 over George Floyd’s death turned into looting and rioting during the overnight hours on June 1 in Waukegan and Beach Park.
There were 50 businesses looted, dozens of calls of shots fired and 15 people arrested, police said.
Waukegan Police Department Cmdr. Joe Florip said at the time that the majority of the police department were centered at Glen Flora Avenue and Lewis Avenue where there were violent rioters.
No police officers were injured; however, at least seven law enforcement vehicles were damaged — two Waukegan police cars and five Lake County sheriff squad cars.
The Lake County Sheriff’s Office said that they sent dozens of sheriff’s deputies to assist the Waukegan Police Department with hundreds of looters.
Five Lake County Sheriff’s Office squad cars sustained significant damage from people who intentionally damaged the cars, the sheriff’s office said. Rioters threw rocks, bricks and bottles at police officers.
Waukegan police officers responded to over a dozen calls of shots fired during the night and one person showed up to an area hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg.
Florip also said that some of the approximately 50 businesses that were broken into or damaged were looted multiple times.
The following 15 people were arrested on June 1:
- Jessica Arroya, 24, of Grayslake, for looting by an individual
- Victoria Bradley, 49, of Waukegan, for resisting a peace officer, driving on a suspended or revoked license, and fleeing and eluding
- Jodaviess Brown, 34, of Waukegan, for burglary
- Ernesto Flores, 21, who has no given address, for trespassing
- Modestey Hyatte, 20, of Park City, for burglary
- Jasmaine James, 28, who has no given address, for disorderly conduct
- Davel Johnson, 28, of Waukegan, for burglary and looting
- Julius Mathews, 18, of Waukegan, for looting by an individual
- Destini Miller, 27, of Waukegan, for looting by an individual
- Michael Moreino, 44, of Waukegan, for criminal trespass and resisting arrest
- Dwight Pritchett, 46, of Zion, for criminal damage, criminal trespass to property, obstructing and resisting a peace officer
- Xania Ruiz, 19, of Waukegan, for disorderly conduct
- Melinda Urbine, 26, of Waukegan, for looting by an individual
- Albert Wilson, 29, of Zion, for theft
- Santiago Zapata, 21, of Waukegan, for disorderly conduct