Officials said water service has been restored and crews are going house-to-house this afternoon to restore gas service after a gas line break Monday evening that led to a fire in Highland Park.
The Highland Park Fire Department and Highland Park Police Department responded around 6 p.m. Monday to the 500 block of Green Bay Road.
Firefighters arrived and found a contractor had struck a gas line, causing a gas leak. A construction vehicle and a generator caught on fire and the gas leak fueled the fire for several hours.
Green Bay Road between Clavey Road and Washington Place was closed due to the incident as city and utility crews responded to the scene.
The fire was finally extinguished around 10 p.m. Tuesday but gas and water service to 69 homes in the area were impacted.
North Shore Gas worked throughout the night to repair the gas line. The city said Tuesday that the water main has been turned on and water service was restored to the impacted homes.
Service restoration for the gas will be staged block-by-block to expedite the process.
Phase 1 will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the 600 block Green Bay Road, including Roger Williams addresses.
Phase 2 will be from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the 500 block Green Bay Road.
Phase 3 will be from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the 300 and 400 block Green Bay Road. All NSG employees will be uniformed, display ID, and follow COVID-19 precautions, officials said.
Due to the cold temperatures, residents without gas service were offered the option of two overnight warming centers or accommodation at an area hotel.
“The City has made arrangements for a discounted rate. Income-qualified individuals may be eligible for a fee waiver. Police Officers will go door-to-door to impacted homes with additional information,” officials said.
There was also a limited power outage in the vicinity as well and ComEd restored the service Monday evening.