fbpx Press "Enter" to skip to content

Crews working to restore service to 70 homes after gas leak fueled hours-long fire in Highland Park

A gas-fed fire caused very high flames to billow in the 500 block of Green Bay Road in Highland Park Monday evening. | Photo: Max Weingardt.

Gas and water service remains out for nearly 70 homes in Highland Park after a gas line was struck by a contractor, leading to an hours-long gas-fueled fire at the scene.

The Highland Park Fire Department and Highland Park Police Department responded around 6 p.m. Monday to the 500 block of Green Bay Road.

Firefighters arrived and found a contractor had struck a gas line, causing a gas leak. A construction vehicle and a generator caught on fire and the gas leak fueled the fire for several hours.

Green Bay Road between Clavey Road and Washington Place was closed due to the incident as city and utility crews responded to the scene.

The fire was finally extinguished around 10 p.m. Tuesday but gas and water service to 69 homes in the area were impacted.

North Shore Gas worked throughout the night to repair the gas line. The city said Tuesday morning service restoration at each home will not take place until after the main gas line has been restored.

[Suggested Article]  No injuries after fire spreads through attic of Highland Park home

“When NSG is ready to resume service, NSG staff will need to activate service at each individual home for safety purposes. NSG will visit each home to conduct a pressure test,” the city said in a statement.

After the gas main is repaired, repairs to the water main will resume.

Due to the cold temperatures, residents without gas service were offered the option of two overnight warming centers or accommodation at an area hotel.

“The City has made arrangements for a discounted rate. Income-qualified individuals may be eligible for a fee waiver. Police Officers will go door-to-door to impacted homes with additional information,” officials said.

There was also a limited power outage in the vicinity as well and ComEd restored the service Monday evening.


Suggested Stories