All animals inside a barn escaped without injury as the barn became fully engulfed in flames Monday evening near Woodstock, fire officials said.
The Woodstock Fire/Rescue District responded around 8:25 p.m. Monday to the 4500 block of McCauley Road in unincorporated McHenry County north of Woodstock for a report of a barn fire.
Firefighters arrived in seven minutes and confirmed a single-story barn was fully engulfed in flames. All animals had safely escaped the barn prior to firefighters arriving.
Fire officials said that firefighters engaged in an “aggressive defensive fire attack,” while simultaneously establishing rural tender and water supply operations at the roadway since the area is not supplied by fire hydrants.
The fire was determined to be under control within 45 minutes. Fire crews performed overhaul of the structure and continued to monitor hotspots within the barn for an additional hour.
Firefighters were at the scene until around 10 p.m. No other structures on the property were damaged.
Preliminary investigations indicate the fire to be electrical in nature, according to the fire district, who said the fire was believed to be started by a malfunctioning heat lamp.
The structure is considered a total loss, including several pieces of farm machinery inside. The damage was estimated at $70,000.
No fire personnel or civilians were injured during the blaze.
“The Woodstock Fire/Rescue District wants to remind everyone to use extreme caution when using heat lamps to warm your pets, barn animals, or plants,” officials said in a statement.
“Always place a lamp where it cannot get knocked over and at least 3 feet from any combustible objects, including bedding. Also, refrain from using extension cords or power strips.”