Adam J. Kuehn, 35, of Round Lake Park.

A Round Lake Park man who tried killing his mother by slicing her throat with a knife in a gruesome attack in 2017 has been sentenced to seven years in prison.

Adam J. Kuehn, 35, of the 200 block Newhouse Lane in Round Lake Park, had been indicted on charges of attempted murder, two counts of armed violence, two counts of aggravated domestic battery and one count of felon unlawful use of a weapon.

The incident occurred around 9:30 a.m. on July 24, 2017, in the 200 block of Amendola Way in Round Lake Park.

Round Lake Park Police Department Chief George Filenko said at the time that officers received a 911 call for an unknown medical problem and responded to assist paramedics.

Officers arrived and knocked on the door and the victim stepped out soaked in blood.

[Suggested Article]  Bond set at $1 million for Chicago man charged with shooting man in both legs in McHenry

Filenko said the 60-year-old Round Lake Park woman had sustained a slice to the throat.

It was determined that Kuehn, who is the woman’s son, had attempted to first strangle his mother and then sliced her throat with a knife.

During the attack, the victim escaped the house after Kuehn slit her throat. A neighbor witnessed Kuehn trying to drag his mother back inside and that’s when the neighbor called 911.

She was transported to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville. Filenko said she was conscious and lucid when police last spoke to her before she entered surgery.

Kuehn fled the scene on a bicycle and was later spotted by a Round Lake Park police officer where he ran into a field west of Alleghany Road just north of Peterson Road in Grayslake.

Police established a perimeter and requested assistance from a Lake County Sheriff’s Office Canine Unit, the Round Lake Police Department, and the Grayslake Police Department.

[Suggested Article]  Suspect orders victim out of car at gunpoint before stealing vehicle in Waukegan

A sheriff’s canine tracked and located Kuehn a short time later and was taken into custody.

Filenko said at the time that drugs and alcohol were not believed to have been involved and the motive was still being investigated.

Last week on March 10, the Lake County State’s Attorney’s Office came to a plea deal agreement with Kuehn.

The man pleaded guilty to one count of felon unlawful use of a weapon in exchange for all of his other charges being dismissed.

Kuehn was sentenced to seven years in the Illinois Department of Corrections but he is receiving 662 days of credit for time served in the Lake County Jail.