A 16-year-old boy who was shot by a 15-year-old boy in 2019 in Mundelein has died of complications from his wounds, the medical examiner said.
Carys Castillo, 16, of Skokie, died on Friday from complications of a remote shotgun wound, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.
The medical examiner ruled the boy’s death a homicide. He died at Lurie Children’s Hospital in Chicago.
The shooting happened around 8:33 p.m. on September 28, 2019, in the 200 block of Longwood Terrace in Mundelein.
Police found Castillo, who was 15 years old at the time, with a gunshot wound to the neck.
Paramedics rushed the boy to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville.
Castillo reportedly underwent surgery twice that evening and had been stabilized, a source told Lake and McHenry County Scanner at the time.
Mundelein police said at the time that they received conflicting information from witnesses at the apartment about what happened.
Officers later recovered the gun used in the shooting and conducted interviews with witnesses at the police station.
A 15-year-old boy, whose name was not released because he is a juvenile, was petitioned to juvenile court on charges of reckless discharge of a firearm and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.
The two 15-year-olds were both acquaintances, authorities said in 2019. Police called the shooting “isolated” and said there was no risk to the community.
Police have not released any additional information on the incident and juvenile court records are sealed from the public.