A Lindenhurst woman who suffered a serious injury during an explosion at an Antioch restaurant in September has filed a lawsuit against the business, her lawyer said.
Law firm Salvi, Schostok and Pritchard have filed a lawsuit against Anastasias Restaurant and Sports Lounge, 950 Hillside Avenue in Antioch.
LaVerne and Charles Burress, of Lindenhurst, went to dinner at the restaurant on September 16 and dined on the restaurant’s outdoor patio, the law firm said in a statement.
Around 7:04 p.m. that evening, an outdoor fireplace on the restaurant’s patio exploded.
LaVerne Burress, who was seated near the faulty fireplace, suffered a severe and painful injury to her Achilles tendon that required surgery, the lawsuit said.
The entire incident was captured on video.
An investigation revealed the explosion occurred as the result of a crack in the connection between the flex hose and the gas pipe in the north tower of the outdoor fireplace, the lawsuit said.
The suit was filed on Monday in Lake County Circuit Court against the restaurant, claiming the establishment failed to adequately inspect, maintain and repair the outdoor fireplace, causing an unreasonable risk of harm.
“LaVerne and Charles have a daughter getting married in October, and instead of enjoying this special time and accompanying her daughter to venue and dress appointments, LaVerne is in excruciating pain. She is often not able to perform everyday activities due to the swelling and pain of her injury,” the woman’s attorney John A. Mennie said.
“We hope this lawsuit will bring LaVerne the monetary means she needs to recover and heal, but we also hope this makes restaurants aware of the important duty they have to keep their patrons safe this upcoming patio season.”
The lawsuit seeks at least $50,000 and requests a jury trial.