A homeowner digging in their yard caused a natural gas leak and fire Friday morning in Deer Park, fire officials said.
The Lake Zurich Fire Department responded around 10:50 a.m. Friday to the 21000 block of Old Farm Road in Deer Park for a report of an outdoor natural gas leak.
The 911 caller told dispatchers that the natural gas leak had ignited next to the home and caused a fire.
Fire crews arrived and found flames from an excavation hole with flame impingement to the side of the house, officials said.
Firefighters deployed a hose line and applied water to the siding of the house.
Fire crews also assisted Nicor Gas with digging a trench to cut off the natural gas supply.
A preliminary investigation indicates the homeowner was digging in the area of the natural gas line and struck it.
Damage to the home was minimal but a damage estimate was not immediately available. There were no reports of any civilian or firefighter injuries.
The Lake Zurich Fire Department received assistance from the Barrington, Barrington-Countryside, Lake Bluff, Deerfield, Carpentersville, Crystal Lake, Lake Forest, Long Grove, Mundelein, and Wauconda fire departments.
The Lake County Sheriff’s Office assisted with traffic control.
The Lake Zurich Fire Department said they would like to remind residents to install working smoke detectors, make an escape plan and practice it.