Press "Enter" to skip to content

18 residents displaced after Waukegan apartment building left uninhabitable following fire

Firefighters extinguish a fire in an apartment building in the 2100 block of Williamsburg Drive in Waukegan Saturday evening as fireworks are shot off in the background. | Photo: Craig / Captured News.

Fire officials say that 18 residents were displaced after an apartment building was deemed uninhabitable following a Saturday evening fire in Waukegan.

The Waukegan Fire Department responded around 10 p.m. Saturday to the 2100 block of Williamsburg Drive for a report of a structure fire

Firefighters arrived to find heavy flames coming from a second-floor window of a four-unit building.

Waukegan Fire Marshal Todd Zupec said crews were able to access the building and extinguish the fire.

Firefighters extinguish a fire in an apartment building in the 2100 block of Williamsburg Drive in Waukegan Saturday evening. | Photo: Craig / Captured News.

The occupants of the building were able to evacuate on their own and no injuries were reported, Zupec said.

The building was deemed uninhabitable due to fire and water damage.

18 residents from the building were displaced and some of them were assisted by the American Red Cross in finding shelter.

“The first arriving crews did an amazing job with an aggressive fire attack to contain the fire from spreading any further,” Zupec said.

Officials believe the fire started due to an electrical issue with a fan that was plugged into a wall outlet.

A damage estimate was not immediately available.