Firefighters respond to a house fire in the 0-100 block of North Alder Court in Hawthorn Woods Tuesday afternoon. | Photo: Jimmy Bolf.

Fire officials said that an electrical appliance caused a fire in the basement of a Hawthorn Woods home, causing $125,000 in damage Tuesday afternoon.

The Lake Zurich Fire Department and Hawthorn Woods Police Department responded around 4 p.m. Tuesday to the 0-100 block of North Alder Court in Hawthorn Woods for a report of a structure fire.

Lake Zurich Fire Captain Joe Christopherson said the homeowner called 911 after discovering a basement fire.

Firefighters arrived on the scene within five minutes and found smoke coming from the windows of the first and second floors of a two-story single-family residence.

All occupants were able to exit the home safely before firefighters arrived.

Firefighters respond to a house fire in the 0-100 block of North Alder Court in Hawthorn Woods Tuesday afternoon. | Photo: Jimmy Bolf.

Fire crews quickly deployed hose lines and had the fire under control within minutes, Christopherson said. The fire was contained to the basement.

The residence sustained fire and smoke damage with preliminary estimates of $125,000 in damage. Approximately $710,000 in property and contents were saved.

[Suggested Article]  1 injured, multiple cars hit by gunfire during shooting in front of Waukegan grocery store

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical appliance in the basement, Christopherson said.

The Lake Zurich Fire Department received assistance from the Barrington-Countryside, Buffalo Grove, Carpentersville, Huntley, Mundelein, Long Grove, Wauconda and Wheeling fire departments.

“The Lake Zurich Fire Department would like to remind residents to install working smoke detectors and to make an escape plan and practice it,” the department said.