Donovan C. Stewart, 23, of Chicago, (inset) was arrested after an incident near Marengo Friday morning that ended in the parking lot of Prairie Grove School off of Route 176 in Prairie Grove. | Background Photo: Google Street View.

A Chicago man was arrested after allegedly pulling a replica gun during a road rage incident that ended in a Prairie Grove school parking lot, causing a lockdown Friday morning, police said.

The McHenry County Sheriff’s Office responded around 9:15 a.m. Friday to a road rage incident near Deerpass Road and River Road in unincorporated Marengo.

McHenry County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Aimee Knop said a witness reported that the driver of a black 1997 Toyota RAV4 displayed a handgun during the incident.

Officers with the Lakewood Police Department spotted the suspect vehicle and shared information of its location with area police agencies, Knop said.

Officers from Prairie Grove Police Department then spotted the Toyota, which pulled into the Prairie Grove Junior High campus parking lot, 3225 Route 176 in Prairie Grove.

The Toyota drove to the rear parking lot where the driver was quickly detained by sheriff’s deputies and police officers, Knop said.

[Suggested Article]  2 years in prison for Crystal Lake man convicted of driving on suspended or revoked license for his 11th time

Prairie Grove Junior High School and Prairie Grove Elementary School, which are attached to each other, went into a hard lockdown that lasted less than 30 minutes.

Only teachers and staff were present when the lockdown occurred. Students were not in the building.

The driver, identified as Donovan C. Stewart, 23, of Chicago, was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, a Class A misdemeanor.

Deputies learned the gun displayed in the incident was actually an airsoft gun that resembled a real handgun, Knop said.

Stewart drove to Prairie Grove Junior High School because he is employed by a company contracted by the school district, Knop added.

No one was injured in the incident and Stewart was transported to the McHenry County Jail where he remains held on a $1,000 bond.