A photo taken in July shows the intersection of Algonquin Road and Crystal Lake Road in Lake in the Hills. | Photo: McHenry County Division of Transportation.

The intersection of Randall Road and Algonquin Road has almost fully reopened following a three-year construction project to improve the Randall Road corridor in Algonquin and Lake in the Hills.

The McHenry County Division of Transportation said all lanes of the busy intersection were reopened Wednesday.

The furthest inside left-turn lanes on both eastbound and westbound Algonquin Road will be temporarily closed while crews are awaiting pavement marking tape, which is the final step before those lanes are reopened.

Motorists should expect occasional daytime lane closures as miscellaneous work and landscaping are completed over the next few weeks, McHenry County DOT said.

Planning for the Randall Road improvements was completed and approved in 2013 by the Illinois Department of Transportation and Federal Highway Administration.

The design phase of the project began in 2014 but construction did not begin until the late summer of 2018.

[Suggested Article]  13-year-old arrested, charged after bringing loaded gun to middle school in Gurnee

During the construction phase, crews added additional lanes on Randall Road, and dual left-turn lanes and separate right-turn lanes at all signalized intersections on Randall Road between Bunker Hill and Polaris Drive.

A pedestrian underpass was constructed between Harnish Drive and Bunker Hill.

Crews also added a sidewalk along the west side of Randall Road and the north side of Algonquin Road. A multi-use path was built along the east side of Randall Road and the south side of Algonquin Road.

The entire project cost approximately $45.8 million. 58% of it was funded by the federal government while the remaining 42% was funded by the county.

Construction officials said the project was needed to help relieve congestion through the heavily traveled north-south corridor of McHenry County.