Firefighters were called twice in the past day to a home near Marengo to extinguish a fire that left the residence uninhabitable and its residents displaced.
The Marengo Fire and Rescue Districts responded around 1:41 p.m. Friday to the 19400 block of River Road in unincorporated Marengo for a report of a structure fire.
Firefighters arrived on the scene and found smoke and flames visible at the base of a rooftop brick chimney.
Marengo Fire and Rescue Districts Communications Specialist Alex Vucha said that firefighters quickly engaged in an interior attack.
The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes. No injuries were reported.
Vucha said the homeowner was reportedly using a wood-burning stove when the incident occurred.
The fire is believed to have begun in a second-floor wall containing the chimney flue.
Firefighters were called back to the home nearly 13 hours later at 2:15 a.m. Saturday after the fire started up again.
Fire crews arrived to find flames and smoke showing from the roof and attic area.
The home sustained water and smoke damage throughout, Vucha said. A damage estimate was not immediately available.
The fire does not appear to be suspicious in nature but it remains under investigation.