File Photo – Lake Zurich Fire Department | Photo: Jimmy Bolf

Fire officials say the residents of a home in Lake Zurich escaped without injuries after a fire started in a chimney, which is believed to have been caused by a bird’s nest.

The Lake Zurich Fire Department responded around 3 p.m. Friday to the 100 block of West Harbor Drive in Lake Zurich for a report of a structure fire.

Firefighters were on the scene within six minutes and started an interior investigation of the residence, the fire department said.

Crews quickly identified there was a fire in the chimney chase, which was contained and did not extend into the residence.

The fire was quickly extinguished and damage was contained to the chimney.

The residence was occupied when the incident occurred and there were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported.

Initial losses were estimated to be less than $10,000.

[Suggested Article]  2 dogs die after being rescued from fire that damaged 2 townhomes in Algonquin on Thanksgiving Day

The fire is believed to have been caused by animal nesting material in the chimney chase near the fireplace flue.

The Lake Zurich Fire Department received assistance from the Barrington-Countryside, Buffalo Grove, Wauconda, Long Grove, Barrington, Fox River Grove, Grayslake and Wheeling fire departments.

The Lake Zurich Fire Department said they recommend residents have their chimney’s inspected and serviced by a certified technician annually.