A family dog was found safe following an apartment fire in Zion Friday afternoon that left six residents displaced, fire officials said.
The Zion Fire and Rescue Department responded at 3:06 p.m. Friday to the 2700 block of Hebron Avenue in Zion for a report of a structure fire.
Firefighters arrived and found smoke coming from the doors of the building, according to Zion Fire and Rescue Department Battalion Chief Eric Troy.
Firefighters discovered the fire was in the basement.
Firefighters deployed multiple hose lines and made quick progress in keeping the fire from spreading to other floors, Troy said.
Everyone safely evacuated the building and a family dog, who was initially unaccounted for, was found safe outside.
The structure sustained heat and smoke damage throughout. Six residents were displaced as a result and were given temporary lodging by the American Red Cross, Troy added.
No injuries were reported and the fire remains under investigation.
Troy said the fire department reminds residents of the importance of having working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.
The Zion Fire and Rescue Department was assisted at the scene by the Beach Park, Gurnee, Newport Township, Winthrop Harbor and Pleasant Prairie fire departments.
The Zion Police Department and Zion Emergency Services and Disaster Agency (ESDA) also assisted.
The North Chicago, Libertyville, and Round Lake fire departments covered Zion fire stations during the incident.