Firefighters were able to stop a fire from spreading to a home by quickly extinguishing a chimney fire Friday morning in Winthrop Harbor.
Winthrop Harbor Fire Chief Rocco Campanella said firefighters received a call at their station from a resident reporting a fire in the 500 block of Meadow Court in Winthrop Harbor around 10:06 a.m. Friday.
Firefighters arrived on the scene and found smoke showing from a two-story house.
The occupants of the home were located safely outside of the residence, Campanella said.
“Usually with fires in Winthrop Harbor we are automatically assisted by our neighboring departments. Initially surrounding departments were unable to respond, as their units became available, they assisted,” Campanella said.
A “fast attack” was performed on the exterior of the house, which stopped the fire from extending into the attic, saving the large residential structure.
No injuries were reported and damage was estimated at approximately $50,000.
Firefighters from the Newport, Gurnee, Antioch, Pleasant Prairie, Beach Park and Zion fire departments assisted at the scene.
The Winthrop Harbor Fire Department reminds residents to use their fireplaces as intended. All chimneys should be cleaned and inspected at least annually.
“Additionally, please do not call the fire station for an emergency, call 911, this is the fastest way to get the resources you need on the road,” Campanella said.