Lynell P. Glover, 36, of Round Lake Beach, (inset) was convicted Tuesday in a case where prosecutors say he chased his stolen vehicle to a parking lot near Platinum Autobody, 31223 North Route 12 in Volo, and shot two teens during a confrontation on January 3, 2021. | Background Photo: Google Street View

A Round Lake Beach man was convicted Tuesday of second-degree murder for shooting and killing a 17-year-old boy who he confronted after finding him in his stolen car in Volo.

Lynell P. Glover, 36, of the 2300 block of North Old Pond Lane in Round Lake Beach, was convicted of second-degree murder and aggravated battery with a firearm.

Glover had been charged with three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

Lake County State’s Attorney Eric Rinehart said he was satisfied with the verdict and hoped it provided the family with closure.

“We are satisfied with the verdict and hope this provides the family with some closure even though Anthony can’t be brought back. Mr. Glover started the fight, shot the boys after the altercation, and then hid the gun afterwards,” Rinehart said.

[Suggested Article]  2 years in prison for man found with dynamite, fireworks, ghost gun after stopping to film police traffic stop in Zion

“The jury correctly saw that Mr. Glover was wrong to take the law into his own hands. We will continue to support the family through sentencing and beyond,” he added.

Lake County Assistant State’s Attorney Steve Scheller said during a bond hearing that Glover’s vehicle was reported stolen on December 30, 2020, from his Round Lake Beach residence.

Glover found out his vehicle was near the Speedway gas station at Route 12 and Route 120 in Volo around 2:40 a.m. on January 3, 2021.

He followed the vehicle southbound on Route 12 when the stolen vehicle, which was occupied by two 17-year-old boys from Carol Stream, ran out of gas, police said.

The stolen car pulled into a parking lot near the Platinum Autobody, 31223 North Route 12, and an altercation ensued, Scheller said.

[Suggested Article]  Defense attorneys argue 2 DCFS workers were overworked, question expert witness during day 3 of AJ Freund neglect trial

Glover called 911 and dispatchers could hear him yelling in the background, “Get on the f***ing ground or I’ll shoot you.”

Scheller said that Glover allegedly chased the two teens and shot them as they were running.

Officers arrived and found both of the teens with gunshot wounds. One of them, identified as Anthony Awad, sustained three gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The other teen sustained one gunshot wound to his leg and was transported to an area hospital.

Police recovered a Ruger 9mm pistol in a sewer grate. The gun belonged to Glover’s girlfriend, prosecutors said.

Police also recovered shell casings in the middle of the Route 12 median between the southbound and northbound lanes.

Glover sustained minor non-gunshot injuries from the incident and did not need medical treatment, police said.

[Suggested Article]  41-year-old man seriously injured after motorcycle crashes into 2 cars in Fox Lake

The man’s attorney, James Schwarzbach, disputed prosecutors’ claim that he brought the gun to the scene, the Daily Herald reported.

Schwarzbach said during closing arguments that one of the teens had the gun when Glover confronted them. Schwarzbach said that Glover acted in self-defense when he shot them.

Prosecutors said during the trial that Glover could have let the boys run away but instead shot them to keep them there, the Daily Herald reported.

Glover has been held in the Lake County Jail on a $1 million bond since his arrest.

The jury, which began deliberating the case on Thursday, returned the guilty verdict Tuesday.

Glover’s sentence on the two charges will be concurrent with a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison.

A sentencing hearing has been scheduled for May 5.