No injuries were reported after a train caught on fire inside a building at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union Monday morning, fire officials said.
The Union Fire Protection District and Marengo Fire and Rescue Districts responded around 10:45 a.m. Monday to the Illinois Railway Museum, 7000 Olson Road in Union, for a report of a structure fire.
Marengo Fire & Rescue Districts Public Information Officer Alex Vucha said initial reports indicated a small fire underneath a railroad locomotive inside a repair and storage facility.
First arriving firefighters found smoke showing from the facility on the east side of the property.
A quick fire attack extinguished the fire within 10 minutes.
The locomotive was then pulled from the facility by workers which allowed firefighters to extinguish the remaining hot spots underneath the locomotive.
The diesel locomotive was undergoing restoration and it is believed grease on the underframe ignited, Vucha said.
Fire damage was minimal and did not extend to any other locomotives or the building.
No injuries were reported to museum personnel or firefighters, Vucha said.
The fire is not considered suspicious in nature.
“We want to thank the railway museum volunteers for their swift actions to help guide our fire vehicles across their property and assisting us while on scene,” Vucha said.
Firefighters from Woodstock also assisted Union and Marengo firefighters at the scene.