Over a dozen fire departments responded to a neighborhood in Spring Grove after a pool company employee was injured during a chlorine reaction incident Monday evening.
The Spring Grove Fire Department responded around 6:45 p.m. Monday to the 8700 block of Galleria Court in Spring Grove.
Spring Grove Fire Chief Paul Klicker told Lake and McHenry County Scanner that the incident stemmed from faulty pails of ProTeam High Tech Tabs.
50-pound pails purchased from Novotny Sales in Johnsburg with lot codes 21H52 511, 21H53 511, 21H54 511 and 21H55 511 have been recalled.
The pails contain chlorine tablets designed for swimming pools.
An employee of Haviland Pool and Spa Products was at a home on Galleria Court picking up those drums.
The employee’s vehicle’s trailer was carrying “a lot” of the recalled 50-gallon pails, Klicker said.
A hazardous reaction occurred with the drums.
The Haviland employee sustained an injury to his hand and was transported to Northwestern Medicine Hospital in McHenry with non-life-threatening injuries, Klicker said.
According to the company, the hazard in the recalled pails relates when it comes to handling them.
The pail may burst open with force and cause a strong chlorine smell.
Fire department crews remained at the scene on Galleria Court until around noon on Tuesday mitigating the situation.
The scene was turned over to representatives from Haviland Pool and Spa Products.
Anyone who purchased ProTeam 50-pound High Tech Tabs from Novotny Sales in Johnsburg between April 28 and May 3 should check their pails to see if theirs include the recalled lot codes, which are listed on a sticker on the side of the drums.
Those who cannot tell if their pails are marked with the recalled lot codes and those who confirm they have the recalled pails should not handle or touch the drums.
Customers should immediately call Haviland Pool and Spa Products at 616-365-3618 and open their garage or shed for ventilation.