Firefighters extinguish a house fire in the 600 block of Chelsea Drive in Algonquin that started during a thunderstorm Monday evening. | Photo: Alex Vucha / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

A family of four was displaced from their residence after a lightning strike started a fire that caused significant damage to a house in Algonquin during thunderstorms Monday.

The Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District responded around 6 p.m. Monday to the 600 block of South Vista Drive for a call of a structure fire in the area.

A person called 911 after noticing lightning strike a home in the 600 block of Chelsea Drive, according to Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Deputy Fire Chief john Knebl.

Firefighters extinguish a house fire in the 600 block of Chelsea Drive in Algonquin that started during a thunderstorm Monday evening. | Photo: Alex Vucha / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

Two adults and two children had been in the basement at the time of the fire because of the tornado watch, Knebl said.

Police arrived first and evacuated the residence. The four residents went over to a neighbor’s house.

Firefighters arrived to find flames and smoke showing from the attic area of the house.

[Suggested Article]  NWS warns of 'destructive winds,' damaging hail from severe thunderstorms in northern Illinois

Crews made a quick attack and were able to get the fire under control.

Significant damage was done to the attic, Knebl said. Smoke and water damage were present throughout the structure.

Firefighters extinguish a house fire in the 600 block of Chelsea Drive in Algonquin that started during a thunderstorm Monday evening. | Photo: Alex Vucha / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

A ceiling collapsed on the second floor from the fire and water damage, Knebl said.

Carpentersville and Crystal Lake fire departments responded to the scene while Huntley and Fox River Grove covered Algonquin fire stations.

Over $100,000 in damage was estimated and the residence was deemed uninhabitable.

No injuries were reported and the residents are living with family until repairs can be made.

Knebl said the cause of the fire was determined to be from a lightning strike.