Fire officials say an owner was performing maintenance on their vehicle when a fire started and damaged the vehicle and a garage in Crystal Lake.
The Crystal Lake Fire Rescue Department responded around 11:13 a.m. Wednesday to the 500 block of Eagle Street in Crystal Lake.
Chris Kopera, the Bureau Chief of Fire Prevention at the Crystal Lake Fire Rescue Department, said crews received a call of a possible detached garage fire.
Firefighters arrived to find a vehicle on fire in the garage with flames extending to the structure.
Crews were able to quickly get the fire under control, Kopera said.
The fire extended to the opening of the garage and siding above the garage door.
The owner had been performing maintenance on the fuel system of the vehicle, Kopera said.
While attempting to start the vehicle, the fuel line expelled gasoline onto the engine block, igniting the vehicle.
Kopera said fire investigators concluded the fire was accidental in nature.
The loss to the structure was estimated to be $1,000. No injuries were reported.