Giovanni M. Smith, 33, of North Chicago.

A no bond warrant has been issued for a North Chicago man after he skipped out on his trial where a jury convicted him of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Giovanni M. Smith, 33, of North Chicago, was arrested on July 4, 2021, after police responded to a 911 call for a person with a gun.

The caller reported a person jumped out of a car in North Chicago while armed with a handgun.

The armed person, later identified as Smith, was reportedly chasing down another person in the street, prosecutors said.

Officers located Smith minutes later and the gun was recovered in the center console of the vehicle he was driving, prosecutors said.

He was charged with one count of armed habitual criminal, a Class X felony, and one count of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, a Class 2 felony.

[Suggested Article]  Officials attend White House forum, highlight Lake County's gun violence prevention initiative

Smith was originally ordered held on a $100,000 bond but later had his bond reduced to $50,000 during a bond review hearing. He was released after posting 10% of the bond.

A jury trial began in the case on August 2 and lasted three days.

Smith attended most of the trial and did not testify. Several state witnesses, including law enforcement and the 911 caller, testified.

The trial concluded last Thursday with the jury returning guilty verdicts for both charges.

Smith did not return to court for the reading of the verdict.

A warrant carrying no bond was issued for the man, who faces six to 30 years in prison.

The Lake County State’s Attorney’s Office said that Smith would likely not have been able to be released pending trial had the SAFE-T Act been in effect.

[Suggested Article]  Man charged with attempted murder for allegedly stabbing his wife multiple times at Waukegan apartment

The new law goes into effect on January 1 and allows judges to hold defendants charged with violent crimes held without bond, the state’s attorney’s office said.

A sentencing hearing is scheduled for September 1.

Anyone who sees Smith should call 911 and not attempt to apprehend him, the state’s attorney’s office said.