Eric H. Hanstad, 39, of Woodstock.

A Woodstock man who pleaded guilty to critically injuring an infant by causing extensive head, eye and neck trauma to the baby has been sentenced to three and a half years in prison.

Eric H. Hanstad, 39, of the 300 block of West Jackson Street in Woodstock, was indicted in April 2020 on two counts of aggravated battery to a child causing great bodily harm, a Class X felony.

The Woodstock Fire and Rescue District and Woodstock Police Department responded on November 29, 2019, to a residence in the 1800 block of Sebastian Way for an infant who had reportedly been dropped and stopped breathing.

“Early in the investigation, it was observed that the way the [911] caller described what had occurred to cause the injuries to the infant, did not match the injuries present on the infant,” Woodstock Police Chief John Lieb said at the time.

[Suggested Article]  Charges filed after 2 teenagers left critically injured, ejected in rollover crash near Woodstock

The infant was subsequently transported to Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital in Chicago.

Medical professionals told detectives that the infant had suffered from extensive head, eye and neck trauma, Lieb said.

“It was the opinion of medical personnel that the trauma caused to the infant had been intentionally inflicted. Many of the injuries were consistent with the infant being violently shaken,” Lieb said.

A criminal complaint filed in court said that Hanstad shook the infant, causing a subdural hematoma that required surgery.

The shaking also caused the child to suffer two skull fractures, retinal hemorrhaging, bruising in the right inner ear and swelling of the ligaments of the neck.

Detectives interviewed those who had contact with the infant prior to the injuries being discovered.

Those interviews and evidence that were collected led to charges being filed against Hanstad in 2020, Lieb said.

[Suggested Article]  Highland Park to host Fourth of July events, marking 2-year anniversary of 2022 parade shooting

Hanstad was taken into custody in March 2020 and was released days later after posting 10% of his $300,000 bond.

During a Wednesday court hearing, Hanstad entered into a negotiated plea deal with the McHenry County State’s Attorney’s Office.

He pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated battery causing great bodily harm, which was amended from Class X felonies to Class 3 felonies. The Class X felonies were dismissed.

McHenry County Judge James Cowlin sentenced Hanstad to three years and six months in the Illinois Department of Corrections and two years of probation.

Hanstad was also ordered to undergo anger management and psychological evaluations as well as take parenting classes.