Daniel O. Susma, 28, of Algonquin, was found unfit to stand trial in a domestic battery case and was also ordered to stay away from North Coast Music Festival and artist Diplo after prosecutors presented evidence of him making threats on social media. | Provided Photo; Screengrab

A judge has granted American DJ and songwriter Diplo’s petition for a restraining order against an Algonquin man who allegedly made a shooting threat toward a Chicago area music festival.

Daniel O. Susma, 28, of the 1700 block of North River Road in Algonquin, has been held in the McHenry County Jail since July 12.

A motion filed by McHenry County prosecutors last month said that they uncovered new information since his arrest and were seeking an increase in bond.

Assistant State’s Attorney Jim Newman said Susma was arrested when he allegedly attacked his 71-year-old mother.

He was charged with aggravated battery of a senior citizen, aggravated domestic battery, domestic battery and interfering with the reporting of domestic violence.

A criminal complaint said that Susma hit his mother in the face, arms and back, causing red markings and abrasions.

He also allegedly used his hands and applied pressure around the woman’s nose and mouth, impeding her breathing, the complaint said.

Susma scratched the arms of his mother and repeatedly pushed and hit her in the back, the complaint said.

He also allegedly hit the woman in the face repeatedly with his hands, causing red swollen abrasions on her face, according to the complaint.

Newman said that the victim initially called police last month on June 4 to report that Susma was manic and refusing to take his medication.

[Suggested Article]  Investigation underway after human remains found in wooded area in Libertyville

She reported that Susma grabbed her arm and destroyed the phone she was holding.

Police responded to that incident and took Susma to the hospital where he was involuntarily committed, Newman said.

He was released a week later and eventually allowed back into his mother’s home.

Susma on July 6 allegedly posted on Instagram and Facebook that there was “going to be a shooting at NORTH COAST MUSIC FEST,” according to Newman.

Organizers of the Lollapalooza music festival contacted the police about the posts because Susma had been a volunteer for Lollapalooza for the past nine years.

Susma noted on social media that he also has been a volunteer at the North Coast Music Festival.

Police questioned Susma about the posts on July 8 and he alternated between providing responsive answers to “offering random disorganized statements,” Newman said.

Susma then indicated to the officers that he “wants to see a shooting so he could film it” but that he “does not want to shoot anyone.”

The day before police spoke to him about the posts, officers were called to the LifeTime Fitness in Algonquin after Susma allegedly made threats to patrons and had to be escorted out, Newman said in his motion to increase bond.

[Suggested Article]  Some parts of Lake, McHenry counties could see 2-3 inches of snow by Tuesday evening, NWS says

Susma was ultimately arrested and taken into custody after the domestic attack involving his mother.

McHenry County Judge David Gervais granted prosecutors’ request to increase Susma’s bond. Gervais increased the bond from $25,000 to $50,000.

In a statement last month, North Coast Music Festival said they were aware of an individual who has made threats to other individuals and music artists.

“Unfortunately, this has become common place in this day and age. NCMF takes any threat very seriously. Know that we are in direct contact with all law enforcement agencies who have met with the individual and are handling it with the utmost seriousness,” the organization said.

“Additionally, this individual will be prohibited from purchasing tickets or entering NCMF. Both NCMF and law enforcement will continue to closely monitor the situation,” the statement added.

The festival is scheduled to begin on September 2 in Bridgeview. Organizers said additional security will be on hand.

Thomas W. Pentz, known by his stage name Diplo, is scheduled to perform at the festival.

Pentz filed a petition for a stalking no contact order against Susma in McHenry County Circuit Court on July 18.

Citing Susma’s social media posts, which reference Diplo multiple times, Pentz said he has suffered “emotional distress, mental suffering, anxiety and alarm.”

[Suggested Article]  $2 million bond for man who allegedly trafficked large amounts of cannabis to McHenry County, had $800K in cash

“I have never met the Respondent and do not know why he is posting about me on social media, much less making threats towards me and the Music Festival I am scheduled to perform at,” Pentz said in the petition.

Pentz said he is fearful for his safety and for the safety of those around him.

Chris Den Uijl, who is a partner of North Coast Music Festival, said in court documents that “hundreds of people” who were scheduled to attend the September festival have expressed reluctance to attend following the threats.

Uijl asked the court to enter a stalking no contact order protecting the festival from Susma.

McHenry County Judge Jeffrey Hirsch earlier this month granted the order, which requires Susma to stay at least 500 feet from Pentz and his places of employment, which includes the North Coast Music Festival.

Hirsch also ordered Susma to not post any harassing or threatening writing on social media or any public forum about Pentz or the festival.

On Friday, Susma was determined to be mentally unfit to stand trial for his battery charges.

A judge ordered him placed in the custody of the Illinois Department of Human Services, which will determine the appropriate treatment.

A status hearing is scheduled for September 30.