A dog died and a woman sustained minor injuries after a fire broke out in a kitchen at a Marengo home Tuesday morning, officials said.
The Marengo Fire & Rescue Districts responded at 5:12 a.m. Tuesday to the 400 block of South State Street in Marengo for a report of a structure fire.
Firefighters arrived within five minutes and found smoke showing from the exterior of the two-story residence, Marengo Fire & Rescue Districts Communications Specialist Alex Vucha said.
Four residents of the home, including a baby, evacuated the house prior to fire department arrival, but a cat and dog were still inside.
Firefighters rescued both pets from the home. The cat was uninjured.
They attempted to resuscitate the dog but it died, Vucha said.
Crews made an aggressive interior attack and extinguished the fire within 20 minutes.
A female resident sustained minor injuries and was transported to Northwestern Medicine Huntley Hospital, Vucha said.
Firefighters stayed on the scene for two more hours to overhaul and investigate the fire.
A preliminary investigation shows the fire started in a kitchen on the second floor, Vucha said.
The home sustained heavy smoke and water damage throughout and is uninhabitable.
The American Red Cross was requested to provide relief to the displaced residents, Vucha said.
Damage estimates were not immediately available.
The fire remains under investigation by the Marengo Fire & Rescue Districts.