Three retired priests are being investigated for allegations of sexual abuse of minors dating nearly 50 years ago, the Archdiocese of Chicago announced.
The Archdiocese of Chicago said on Saturday that their independent review board is investigating allegations of sexual abuse of minors against Father John J. Rudnik, 87, Father James E. Flynn, 80 and Father John W. Clemens, 75.
Each priest has one allegation against them dating nearly 50 years ago.
All three are retired and “are all cooperating fully with the process,” the archdiocese said in a statement.
“The persons making the allegations have been offered the services of the Archdiocese Victim Assistance Ministry and civil authorities have been notified,” the statement said.
Parishes where the priests have served have been notified.
The archdiocese will share the outcome of the independent review board’s work once the processes are complete, the statement added.
Earlier this month, Cupich announced a new investigation into Father David Ryan, a pastor at Saint Francis de Sales Catholic Parish in Lake Zurich, after two new allegations of child sexual abuse were reported.
“We take every allegation seriously and follow the policies and procedures we have had in place for decades,” Cardinal Blase Cupich, the Archbishop of Chicago, said.
“Only by conducting an impartial and thorough investigation can we fulfill our promise to protect the young people in our care and, if the results warrant, restore the good name of one so accused,” Cupich added.