File Photo – Gurnee Fire Department | Photo: Woo-Sung Shim / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in the basement of a Gurnee home, fire officials said. The homeowner used a garden hose to put it out.

The Gurnee Fire Department responded around 7:05 p.m. Wednesday to the 3400 block of Johns Manville Avenue in Gurnee for a report of a structure fire.

Gurnee Fire Department Lieutenant Tim Steffens told Lake and McHenry County Scanner that there was a small fire in the basement of the house.

The homeowner used a garden hose from the outside to extinguish the fire.

The fire was out prior to the fire department’s arrival and the residents were already evacuated.

The fire was contained to the basement and firefighters ventilated the building, Steffens said.

There was a cat and snake inside the home and they survived.

Two people were evaluated for smoke inhalation but they were not transported to the hospital.

[Suggested Article]  Man dies after being ejected from motorcycle during crash with SUV on Route 41 in North Chicago

The damage to the residence was not significant, Steffens added. A damage estimate was not available.