Nikolis D. Thurnau, 34, of Marengo.

A Marengo man was sentenced to 30 months in prison for punching a police officer and trying to bite him in Marengo last year after he had been released from prison for shooting someone.

Nikolis D. Thurnau, 34, of the 500 block of Grace Street in Marengo, was charged in July 2021 with aggravated battery to a peace officer, aggravated assault on a peace officer and two counts of domestic battery.

The Marengo Police Department responded on July 8, 2021, to a home in the 500 block of Grace Street in Marengo for a report of a domestic disturbance call.

Officers arrived and learned Thurnau caused bodily harm to a woman, who is a family member, by pushing her to the ground.

Thurnau then hit the woman in her pelvic area, injuring her, after he pushed her to the ground, according to a criminal complaint.

[Suggested Article]  Intoxicated man attending DUI victim impact panel allegedly attacks sheriff's deputy near Grayslake

Thurnau punched a responding police sergeant and attempted to bite him, the complaint said.

The man was arrested and transported to the McHenry County Jail where he was ordered held on a $50,000 bond.

Court documents show Thurnau was on parole at the time of the arrest for aggravated discharge of a firearm.

He had been sentenced in 2015 to seven years and six months in the Illinois Department of Corrections for shooting a man who tried to help a woman in Kane County.

Thurnau entered into a negotiated plea deal last week and pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated assault on a peace officer, a Class 4 felony, and domestic battery, a Class A misdemeanor.

In exchange, prosecutors dismissed his other charges.

McHenry County Judge James Cowlin approved the deal and sentenced Thurnau to 30 months in the Illinois Department of Corrections.

[Suggested Article]  Police seek help in locating 86-year-old woman considered missing, endangered from Huntley

Thurnau is receiving 470 days of credit for time already served in the McHenry County Jail awaiting his case.

His 30-month sentence will be served at 50% in accordance with truth-in-sentencing guidelines.