Andy Bhugra and his family meet with several firefighter-paramedics from the Mundelein Fire Department who responded on July 22 to save him when he went into cardiac arrest. | Provided Photo

Firefighter-paramedics who performed 30 minutes of continuous CPR on an unresponsive man who went into cardiac arrest in Mundelein were able to reunite with him Tuesday.

Andy Bhugra was in Mundelein meeting with a business associate at a restaurant in Mundelein on July 22.

Bhugra went into sudden cardiac arrest and 911 was called.

Mundelein firefighter-paramedics Jake Ellegood and Lt. Clifton Englund arrived at the scene within two minutes and began CPR.

Other crew members, which included Scott Huber, Joel Kuester, Jonathan Sinclair, and Battalion Chief Jeremy Lockwood, arrived within minutes to assist.

Fire officials said the crew members performed continuous CPR for 30 minutes, gave him six defibrillations, provided several medications and inserted an artificial airway.

Bhugra was transported to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville where he underwent additional lifesaving procedures and later recovered.

[Suggested Article]  Pre-trial release denied for man arrested in arson fire that damaged restaurant occupied by patrons in Crystal Lake

Fire officials said outcomes like this are only possible through the collaborative efforts of several agencies.

Dispatchers receive the call and quickly notify both police and fire personnel of the situation.

Police officers often arrive first and begin CPR until the fire department arrives and takes over care.

The first responders utilize an approach called “Pit Crew” to minimize interruptions and streamline their efforts, fire officials said.

“On this day, the process was flawless and Mr. Bhugra’s prognosis for a full recovery is outstanding,” the Mundelein Fire Department said.

Bhugra and his family stopped by the fire station Tuesday to drop off treats and meet some of the crew members who responded that day.

Bhugra said the doctor told him he was lucky that he was in the “4% club.”

“The doctor told me I was lucky, that I was in the 4% club since only 4% of people with my condition survive the event,” he said.

[Suggested Article]  1 injured after overnight fire damages Antioch-area home, leaves residence uninhabitable