File Photo – NIPAS | Photo: Woo-Sung Shim / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

A SWAT team arrested a 14-year-old boy in Waukegan who was wanted for murder in connection to a shooting in Zion that left a teenager dead and a second teenager injured.

The Zion Police Department responded around 10:06 p.m. on November 5 to the 1900 block of Ezra Avenue in Zion for a report of shots fired.

Zion Police Department Lt. Paul Kehrli said at the time that officers arrived and found two people who had been shot inside a residence.

The Zion Fire Rescue Department was called to the scene.

One of the victims, Tyshawn Foster, 17, of Waukegan, sustained multiple gunshot wounds to his torso.

The boy was pronounced deceased at the scene, Kehrli said.

An 18-year-old Zion man was the second victim shot. He suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Paramedics transported the 18-year-old to a local hospital for treatment.

[Suggested Article]  38-year-old woman found murdered by apparent strangulation at her home in Zion

Zion police detectives responded to the scene to investigate along with evidence technicians from the Lake County Major Crime Task Force.

Several witnesses were interviewed and a person of interest was identified, Kehrli said.

Detectives reviewed the case on November 8 with the Lake County State’s Attorney’s Office, which approved first-degree murder charges and aggravated battery with a firearm charges.

The suspect is a 14-year-old Zion boy. A warrant was obtained and detectives began searching for him.

Kehrli said it became “immediately apparent” that the 14-year-old suspect was receiving help from acquaintances to hide out from law enforcement.

Detectives exhausted “all avenues” in an attempt to locate him.

On Monday, detectives conducted surveillance on a house in the 600 block of May Street in Waukegan.

They observed the suspect and called the Northern Illinois Police Alarm System’s Emergency Service Team (NIPAS EST).

[Suggested Article]  Charges dismissed against man wanted after gunman opens fire on roadside assistance workers in Gurnee

The EST took the boy into custody without incident around 8 p.m. that evening.

A search of the residence was conducted and officers found two loaded handguns, a disassembled ArmaLite rifle and ammunition for a rifle and handgun.

The 14-year-old suspect was turned over to the juvenile justice center where he will await further court proceedings.