Lewis C. McCracken, 27, of Elgin (inset) is being held in custody after prosecutors said two men were injured during a shooting in the 11800 block of Cape Cod Lane in Huntley early in the morning on July 18, 2022. | Background Photo: Google Street View

A judge ordered a man held without bond after prosecutors said he shot two men, one of which later died, in Huntley during a confrontation over a woman and then fled the state.

Lewis C. McCracken, 27, of the 200 block of Villa Street in Elgin, was charged in July with four counts of attempted murder, aggravated battery and unlawful possession of a weapon by a felon.

The McHenry County State’s Attorney’s Office last week filed a petition to deny McCracken bond.

Assistant State’s Attorney William Bruce said in the petition that McCracken traveled to a residence in the 11800 block of Cape Cod Lane in Huntley around 4 a.m. on July 18.

McCracken reportedly intended to confront a 29-year-old man regarding his relationship with a woman and the possession of the woman’s car.

The 29-year-old man and the woman have a child together and were in a relationship for a long period of time, the petition said.

[Suggested Article]  3 gunmen open fire on home, leaving female victim shot in Waukegan

McCracken was driven to the residence by someone else in a Lexus.

The 29-year-old man’s mother, a 67-year-old woman, answered the door when McCracken began pounding on it, Bruce said.

The 67-year-old woman realized McCracken was not the police and tried to shut the door.

Bruce said that McCracken prevented her from shutting it and the 29-year-old man, along with his 68-year-old father, came downstairs after hearing the commotion.

McCracken was armed with a handgun and the 68-year-old male resident, who was also armed with a handgun, told McCracken to leave.

McCracken disarmed the 68-year-old man and a struggle ensued, Bruce said.

McCracken allegedly pistol-whipped the woman and fired multiple shots at the two male residents.

The 68-year-old man suffered a gunshot in the upper thigh and the 29-year-old man suffered a gunshot to the elbow, Bruce said.

McCracken fled to the vehicle he arrived and left the scene before police arrived.

[Suggested Article]  2 years in prison for sexual predator who was caught at elementary school during dismissal in Huntley

Both victims were transported to area hospitals. The younger male victim suffered permanent injuries.

The older male victim remained in medical care after being shot and eventually died on October 7, Bruce said.

The man had prior medical conditions and the cause of death is still under investigation.

Officers began conducting surveillance on McCracken and attempted to stop him later the same day.

McCracken failed to stop and officers a short time later found the Lexus abandoned in a field in Bartlett, Bruce said.

McCracken and another subject allegedly fled from the car.

McCracken carjacked an employee of a nearby manufacturing plant at gunpoint, Bruce said.

Officers later located the stolen truck abandoned in Addison. A handgun was found in the vehicle, which was the same gun used in the shooting.

A warrant was issued for McCracken for four counts of attempted first-degree murder, felon in possession of a weapon and aggravated battery of an elderly person.

[Suggested Article]  Police investigating two separate burglaries where offenders forced entry to homes in Libertyville

McCracken fled the state of Illinois and was located in Donora, Pennsylvania on September 26.

A standoff lasted nearly two hours before a SWAT team deployed non-lethal rounds at the man and took him into custody, Bruce said.

McCracken was extradited to the McHenry County Jail last week and initially held on a $750,000 bond.

Bruce said that McCracken, who is a convicted felon, is a “real and present threat” to the safety of others.

McHenry County Judge James Cowlin on Monday granted prosecutors’ petition to hold McCracken without bond.

Cowlin said McCracken poses a “clear and present danger” to the community.

McCracken is scheduled to appear in court again on January 23 for a preliminary hearing.